|Season 2, Episode 10-11|
March 10, 2006
Spring Break-Up is a 48 minute TV movie based on the Nickelodeon TV series, Zoey 101. It is tenth and eleventh episodes in Season 2, the twelfth and thirteenth in streaming and production order, as well as the 23rd and 24th episodes in the series overall. It first aired on March 10, 2006. It stars Jamie Lynn Spears as Zoey Brooks, Paul Butcher as Dustin Brooks, Sean Flynn as Chase Matthews, Victoria Justice as Lola Martinez, Christopher Massey as Michael Barret, Alexa Nikolas as Nicole Bristow, Erin Sanders as Quinn Pensky, and Matthew Underwood as Logan Reese.
As part of Spring Break at PCA, Logan invites all of his friends to his house in Santa Barbara. While packing, Chase steals Michael's cologne; Michael is sure that he's stolen it to attract Zoey, and points out that Spring break will give Chase the perfect time to tell Zoey that he loves her. Chase explains that he's afraid that he'll tell Zoey that he loves her, but she won't love him back, so he doesn't want to risk telling her.
At Logan's house, his dad announces the surprise: the PCA kids are going to be helping in a test for a new reality TV series "Gender Defenders," which features boys and girls competing to see which gender is better. For the next few days, they will be playing in a series of competitions to test their abilities on 3 levels--mental, physical and creative. The team that wins gets to come with him to Hollywood to film the very first episode of the series. To thank them in advance to helping with the show, Malcolm gives them all to keep Tek-Mates, a new type of smartphone. They are allowed to use them during the competition. Zoey is chosen as the girls team captain, and Chase is chosen as the boys team captain (despite Logan's protests). The team captains are to meet at 10 PM to go over the rules. Once again, Michael finds this as the perfect opportunity for Chase to tell Zoey that he loves her, but Chase still doesn't want to risk it.
While texting Michael, he insists this. Dustin finds a drink that Quinn made, packed with lots of ingredients, fueling his energy. Later on in the morning, he is found by Quinn and Zoey to have spent the entire night working out in the gym, high off of the drink. Chase confronts Michael about the texting, and when Michael says he didn't text him back, Chase realizes the text (stating he loves Zoey) was sent to Zoey.
To Chase's relief, he is able to see that the message is unread, but he must delete the message from Zoey'sTek-Mate before she does read it. However, when he sees her, the two teams are preparing for the first challenge. The mental level, which consists of a scavanger hunt to find numbers to the combination of a safe. Chase manages to sneak Zoey's Tek-Mate from her and delete the message, without her noticing, but before he can return it, the challenge begins, and he cannot return it without her noticing.
While the two teams are evenly matched in the hunt, the boys have a physical advantage with Dustin's energy. The girls attempt to win by texting the numbers to Zoey with the Tek-Mates, but she does not recieve it. Thus, the boys go on to win the challenge. However, when the girls find out Chase had Zoey's Tek Mate, they accuse him of cheating. Chase proclaims his innocense, but cannot explain his way out of it. Malcolm does not disqualify the boys because Logan is his son. However, the situation puts Zoey and Chase at odds.
The next challenge is a creative one. Both parties are presented with a nerdy person, and are tasked with giving their nerd a cool makeover, the cooler one winning the challenge. The girls win the challenge. The physical challenge goes on to end in a tie.
To break the tie, the two captains, Zoey and Chase, are forced to face off in a challenge of jousting on podiums over a swimming pool. To win, one must knock the other of his or her pedestal into the water, twice. Chase wins the first match and Zoey wins the second. Chase gains the upper hand in the third match, disarming Zoey, but he cannot bring himself to win this way, and he throws the match, giving Zoey and girls the win for the game. As the trip ends, Malcolm then reveals another surprise. In reality, both the girls AND the boys will be appearing on the first episode, as he had hidden cameras recording everything all along.
Back at PCA, as the kids prepare to watch the first ending, Chase and Zoey start talking again. Chase admits the reason he took Zoey's Tek-Mate was because he unintentionally sent a message to her that wasn't meant for her, and had to delete it. Zoey accepts it, but is curious to know what it was. Later on Chase texts her the message that he loves her, but Zoey's Tek-Mate has been left near the fountain, and then vibrates its way into the water and is destroyed, leaving the message never to be read.
- Jamie Lynn Spears as Zoey Brooks
- Paul Butcher as Dustin Brooks
- Sean Flynn as Chase Matthews
- Victoria Justice as Lola Martinez
- Christopher Massey as Michael Barret
- Alexa Nikolas as Nicole Bristow
- Erin Sanders as Quinn Pensky
- Matthew Underwood as Logan Reese
- Although this wasn't the last episode of Season 2 aired, it was the last filmed; therefore, it was the final episode in which Alexa Nikolas portrayed Nicole. She decided to leave Zoey 101 because she couldn't stand the hazardous working environment with Jamie Lynn Spears. Alexa stated in a 2019 interview, that, while filming a PA had taken her to Jamie's trailer where Jamie's sister, Britney, had berated her with threats to end her career. 
- While the girls and boys are partying after the girls' win, the song "Mandy" is being played by the DJ. It is by the Jonas Brothers on their CD "It's About Time."
- The "TekMate" is an exact replica of the T-Mobile Sidekick II.
- This is Dustin's last appearance in Season 2.
- The numbers in each of the two combinations are related to the other numbers within that combination. The boys' combination, 27-12-36, are all multiples of 3. The girls' combination, 14-7-21, are multiples of 7.
- Going by the production order, this is the 12-13th episodes of Season 2.
- When Chase and Michael are talking after Chase realizes he sent the wrong message, if you look closely, Chase's TekMate is shown open and closed in between shots.
- After the second challenge, Dustin starts running in circles and laughs madly but when he runs into the shot, we see he's not laughing or even smiling.
- Michael mentions that he knows a girl named Lisa Lillien. This is a reference to Dan Schneider's wife, whose name has appeared in various episodes. Many know Lillien as "Hungry Girl."
- This episode, along with Little Beach Party are the only episodes of the series that mainly takes place outside of PCA.
- The house this episode is set in was later reused as Tori's house in Victorious.
- In the scene where Zoey and Chase are about to go over the rules, Chase sends the message to Michael that tells, his loving to Zoey may ruin their friendship. You can see that in the "To" and "From" section of the text message it says Michael instead of Zoey, so it couldn't have been sent to Zoey.
- Zoey's TekMate would not work if it fell in the fountain as smartphones can instantly break when dropped in water.
- When the girls are deciding who runs faster, Quinn says she can't because she has an extra toe. In Little Beach Party it indicates that the myth is not true. More proof is when the last game in the competition, the girls are spraying the boys and Quinn clearly has ten toes.
- Likewise, Lola's feet are shown to be the same size.
- When Zoey and Chase get up from sitting you can see that Zoey's TekMate is not on the fountain.
- A jib camera was used in the taping of the show; it's quite hard to hide one of those.
- Zoey's TekMate falls into the fountain at the end, but in Chase's Grandma, she seems to have her TekMate back. It is possible that she bought another TekMate.
- The part where Michael says that when Chase and Zoey were talking to go over the rules, he says that Zoey didn't have her TekMate with her when they talked, but when Zoey and Chase went over the rules, Zoey did have her TekMate with her.
- When the gang first receives their TekMates, they mysteriously turn on the second Chauncy opens the briefcase.
- When Quinn calls Zoey's TekMate, it rings, yet when the girls text message the combination to Zoey, it does nothing. Chase clearly didn't touch it between those two events, so it couldn't have been off during the text message.
Home media release
The VHS and DVD were released on May 19, 2006.
- Official Zoey 101: Spring Break-Up website
- Screenshots, Pictures of Zoey 101 Spring Break-Up
- Zoey 101: Spring Break-Up at the Internet Movie Database
|Season 2 episodes|
|Back to PCA • Time Capsule • The Election • Haunted House • Bad Girl • Broadcast Views • Girls Will Be Boys • Robot Wars • Lola Likes Chase • Spring Break-Up • People Auction • Quinn's Alpaca|